Current Member Opportunities!
SDDA Membership Benefits and Info
A Message from Charis F. Ross, MS, RD, CSP, President, CANDSD, 2016-2017
Dear Fellow California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Member:
The California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics-San Diego District (CANDSD) has begun a new membership year, and this means exciting new opportunities for you to join an incredible organization. While membership in the California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics comes automatically when you join the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, membership in your local district does not. Please scroll down this page to learn more about the benefits of membership. To our current members, thank you for your continued support of CANDSD! The CANDSD does not receive any funding from the state or national association, thus relying solely upon the strength and commitment of our members to sustain our organization. The CANDSD is comprised of Dietitians and Dietetic Technicians who seek professional growth and are committed to helping people live healthier lives.
Thank you to all the board member who served this year. As a board, we collectively had 7 education events, were involved in public policy, served as judges for the annual San Diego Science fair, provided mentoring to students, served meals during Ronald McDonald house just to name a few. It has been a busy year. Thank you to all who have volunteered to serve this year. I understand and appreciated the commitment and time that it takes. You will be amazing and we all look forward to providing the membership with a great year.
Membership and Dues
Persons interested in joining or renewing a membership in the CANDSD may register online or download a copy of the application form from the link below. Please complete the application and mail as directed. If you prefer to pay via check, you can still register online and mail in a check to the address indicated on the online member registration form. For more information about CANDSD membership, please contact Membership Chair, Cynthia Knott.
Benefits of Membership
- Subscription to bi-monthly email newsletter The Linkage
- Roster of CANDSD members with contact information
- Discounts and/or free admission to educational meetings
- Networking opportunities
- Information on new certification requirements
Advertise in the Linkage Newsletter
If you, your employer or any colleagues have a nutrition-related business or service that would benefit from advertising exposure to 220+ RDNs and DTRs, please consider advertising with the CANDSD E-Newsletter.
Benefits of Linkage advertising include:
- Prominent sidebar location with logo in email newsletter
- Link to your Website or product marketplace
- Click through stats provided monthly
- Reach active, involved nutrition professionals
- For more information and advertising rates, please contact Theresa Wong, San Diego District Communications.
The following committees assist our organization through the promotion of the profession of dietetics. Your participation on one of the following committees is encouraged and welcomed. Please indicate on the first page of this application if you would like to be contacted regarding committee involvement.
- This committee responds to requests from the community for CANDSD professional’s participation in local events and implements programs and activities sponsored by our organization, including National Nutrition Month events.
- The role of the Public Policy Committee is to represent the organization’s interest in legislation and public policy issues. Objectives are two-fold: to effect legislation and public policy issues defined by the CAND and CANDSD Executive Board and to alert members of the profession, the public, the government and its agencies to the needs for policy or legislation related to dietetics and nutrition.
- This committee recruits members for all membership categories, provides prospective members with information on membership benefits, maintains current roster and develops the Membership Directory.
- This committee plans and coordinates general meetings for our members, including continuing education events.
Healthcare Reimbursement Committee
- This committee is responsible for keeping the membership informed about Medical Nutrition Therapy reimbursement issues.
- This committee is composed of members interested in coordinating and organizing communication distribution to the membership. The primary means of member communication are the Linkage E-Newsletter and the CANDSD Website.
All CANDSD members must also be a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) residing in California are automatically California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics members.
Any person who holds a bachelor degree from a nationally accredited college or university and meets academic requirements specified by AND and meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Is a Registered Dietitian, credentialed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
- Has completed a supervised practice program accredited/approved by the Commission on Accreditation/Approval for Dietetics Education (CAADE).
- Has earned a Master or Doctoral degree conferred by a nationally accredited college or university. Any person who has earned a Master or Doctoral degree, or equivalent and holds a degree in dietetics, foods and nutrition, nutrition, community/public health nutrition, food science, food service systems management.
Any person who:
- Is a Diet Technician, Registered (DTR) credentialed by CDR or who has established eligibility to write the examination for dietetic technicians.
- Has completed an associate degree program for dietetic technicians that has been accredited/approved by CAADE.
- Is a graduate of a baccalaureate degree program and meets academic requirements specified by AND , with CAADE approved dietetic tech program experience.
Any member of AND who is no longer employed in dietetic practice or education and who is at least 62 years of age or who is retired on total (permanent) disability. Retired members may also be working part-time.
Any person who meets one of the following criteria and is not eligible for Active membership:
- Is a graduate of a baccalaureate degree program and meets requirements specified by AND.
- Is an undergraduate or associate degree student enrolled in a CAADE accredited/approved dietetic program or is a graduate student meeting the minimum academic requirements in a CAADE approved/accredited program.
- Is a student enrolled in a supervised didactic program in dietetics accredited/approved by CAADE.